Category Archives: Kingman

Grant funds help spruce up Kingman’s buildings

[Source: Andraya Whitney, Kingman Daily Miner] — The City Development Services Department is now accepting requests for Community Development Block Grants, funds that may be used for infrastructure, facility, and housing projects. According to Bill Shilling, grants administrator for the city, the Arizona Department of Housing is expected to award Kingman approximately $746,000 in federal CDBG funds next year, to be taken from the HUD Regional Account. The city also may apply for an additional $300,000 in State Special Projects account funds.

The city will conduct the first public hearing regarding the grant program Jan. 10, and the deadline to submit requests is Jan. 28. Funds received from the CDBG program must be used to benefit low- or moderately low-income populations or to address community blight areas or immediate health and safety hazards. Between Jan. 10 and Jan. 28, Development Services will provide technical assistance to individuals seeking information about how to apply for such moneys.

Types of projects

Possible uses for CDBG funds include public infrastructure improvement, community facility remodeling, housing rehabilitation, public service upgrades, and economic development incentives. In the past, the city has utilized such funds to rehabilitate the Central Commercial building (pictured), located on Fourth Street, between Andy Devine Avenue and Beale Street. Shilling said the city participated in that project to eliminate health and safety hazards and an overall blight on the area. When the city first began drawing up a proposal for the project, requested by building owners Joe and Carol Ott, some downtown denizens were unhappy with the “blight” designation, Shilling said.

[Note: To read the full article, click here. Photo source: Andraya Whitney, Kingman Daily Miner.]

Kingman Multiple Resources

In 1986, the citizens of Kingman celebrated the announcement of a multitude of historic properties being added to the National Register of Historic Places. However, since that time, some of these properties have been subjected to abuses and neglect less than deserving of nationally recognized historic treasures.

The local parish owns both the J. B. Wright House (1900) and the historic St. Mary’s Church (1906), pictured at left. The former was listed on the Most Endangered Places List in 2005, but removed in 2006 when parish leadership assured APF that they intended to preserve the building. However, APF recently learned that church Pastor James Alling has changed his mind and decided that the site would be more beneficial to the church as a parking lot. Both buildings have a long, incredible association with the history of Kingman that the parish has now decided to turn its back to.

A third property in the Kingman MRA is also slated for the wrecking ball. The Mohave County Hospital was built in 1922. At the time of its National Register nomination, it was no longer a hospital, but instead was the county sheriff’s annex. When the sheriff’s office moved out, the property became derelict. Both the county and the city now want to tear down the building, though the city would like to salvage the facade. Neither is acceptable.

[For more information on the J.B. Wright House and St. Mary’s Church, contact St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church at 928-753-6989. For information on the Mohave County Hospital, contact the County Manager’s Office at 928-753-0729 or Bill Shilling, historic preservation officer, City of Kingman, at 928-753-8159 or e-mail. Photo source: Vince Murray.]

May 2008 Update

  • Pastor James Alling has been replaced by Father Matthew Krempel. St. Mary’s has no plans to demolish the 1906 Church. The Church is currently in use as a perpetual adoration chapel.

September 2007 Update